Friday, February 6, 2009

A Day in Amish Country

Today I was able to spend the day with my mom. We've been saying that we need to spend a day together since my babysitting job became temporarily part time back in June of last year...ok so we are a bit behind. Anyway, we decided to take a trip to Arthur and go to Beachy's. Now, I've heard of this Amish store quite a bit over the last couple of years but had never been. It is basically a bulk food store where you can buy practically everything under the sun! Some of my purchases included:*dehydrated marshmallows-the kind you find in packets of hot cocoa
*mini animal crackers-Emily loves these!
*ice cream sandwich cookies for making your own ice cream sandwiches
*dried cilantro-will be nice to have around
*a new book for Emily entitled "We Should Be Thankful" about a little Amish girl who learns to be thankful after having the mumps and not being able to play outside for weeks
*spice gumdrops for Delmar
*mustard pretzels for me :)
*steel cut oats in bulk-I've paid over $4 for a 1 pound bag of Red Bob's steel cut oats but these puppies were only $2.65 for 3 3/4 pounds!!!!! CRAZY!

Now, not everything was a great deal but it was worth the trip just to see all of the unique stuff. Of course they had the usual Amish fair, noodles, homemade bread, pies, etc.

My other purchase/investment was a set of new stainless steel bread pans. I'm so excited to be able to use them next week!
After shopping, we had a great lunch at Yoder's Kitchen-an Amish buffet. YUMO!

Thanks mom for a great day!
Have a blessed day,

No comments: